Verallia Design Awards
« Party glass »
Verallia is the world’s third largest manufacturer of glass containers for beverages and food products. Verallia designs and manufactures glass packaging that respects the environment to an ever-greater extent, is infinitely recyclable, and enhances its contents, preserving food quality and consumer well-being.
In France, Verallia is the benchmark actor in the wine, spirits and food jar markets. With seven industrial sites and two technology centers in France, Verallia also offers made-to-measure design and glass-decoration services.
Between creativity and authenticity, glass brings the beautiful and the everyday together. Over thousands of years, it has forged a unique emotional link with consumers, a link that is being renewed today in the chain of recycling and its environmental advantages.
Philosophy and theme of the contest
Each candidate will come up with a glass bottle or jar, making full use of the design possibilities offered by glass as a material.
Theme of the 2019 edition:
On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the Verallia Design Awards, you will imagine a glass packaging on the theme of the party.
The celebration of an event – be it a success, a birthday, a wedding, a graduation, a sporting feat, a family party, etc. – is accompanied by drinks or food enhancing this moment of exception.
Your project will reflect these moments of rejoicing and sharing: thanks to its unique design and its aesthetic or functional characteristics, the packaging will be perfectly associated with the party. It can be kept as a souvenir of this special moment.
This theme applies to the 4 main categories (Food, Spirits, Wines, Water and non-alcoholic drinks).
Special Prize “Digital Communication”
For this 2019 edition, Verallia is offering a special “Digital Communication” prize for the recycling of glass packaging.
Candidates will have to imagine a digital communication campaign to increase the recycling rate of glass packaging. As part of this special prize, a video of 2min maximum will have to be made; it will be accompanied by details of the promotional campaign.
The special price theme is described in more detail in a companion document.
In order to propose an innovative project, the candidates will have to become familiar with the nature of the material and the glassmaking process as well as the household glass recycling subsidiary. They will also have to orient their project according to the public affected by their creation and take into account the budget constraints for the implementation of the digital campaign.
The contest is open to students enrolled in design schools or establishments offering a packaging option for the 2018/2019 academic year, and also to students who recently (1, 2 or 3 years ago) graduated from a design school or establishment offering a packaging option.
Students can enroll individually or within a team of maximum 4 people. It is compulsory for teams entering a project to be composed of one or more students taking a course in an establishment of this type.
Entrants can register online on the contest’s website, http://design.awards.verallia.fr/en/registration/. The closing date for entries is 20 March 2019.
The main competition includes four categories:
– Water and non-alcoholic drinks
And the special award:
– Special Prize “Digital Communication”
Each candidate has a choice of the following options:
1) Competing in one of the four categories of the main competition. A single entry will therefore be submitted.
2) Competing for the Special Prize. A single entry will therefore be submitted.
3) Competing in the main competition and for the Special Prize. Two different entries will therefore be submitted.
Each entry file will be comprised of two parts:
1. A two-page summary document in pdf landscape format (one front page, one back page) presenting the main information about the project:
– The concept being proposed and how it responds to the expectations of the target market in question
– The project specifics (aesthetic value, practicality, etc.)
– An image of the bottle or jar (a 3D image or sketch)
– A technical drawing showing the main dimensions
The jury will draw up a short list on the sole basis of this document.
The file size of this document must not exceed 10 Mo.
2. The full entry file
Each entry file will present a glass bottle or jar dedicated to the theme of “Glass in town”.
The file size of this document must not exceed 30 Mo.
Avenues of innovation and creation could include, for example (but are not limited to):
– The shape of the bottle or jar
– The appearance of the bottle or jar (its colour, the look of the material, decoration, etc.)
– The ergonomics of the bottle or jar
– The use of the bottle or jar (use in new domains or new markets)
Each entry file must include, as a minimum requirement, a sketch/image and technical drawing of the project, accompanied by a project presentation note that mentions, to the extent possible:
– The added value contributed by the bottle or jar (aesthetic, ergonomic, logistical, etc.)
– The “moment” of consumption
– The market(s) at which the project is aimed
– An assessment of industrial feasibility
– In a general sense, any information likely to enlighten the jury concerning the project
3. In addition entrants will have the opportunity to submit 1 main image and up to 4 additional images (in png, jpeg, jpg, or gif formats). Images will be in landscape format, 1329 x 768 pixels maximum. Candidates will make sure the main image is representative of their project.
It is up to the candidate to make sure that there are no earlier designs that are identical to or bear a strong resemblance to their project. In the case that there are, the participant must provide justification that their project differs significantly and sufficiently from existing designs, in order to avoid any risk of infringement or unfair competition.
The organisers reserve the right to withdraw a project from the competition if they consider that there is a significant legal risk due to the proximity of the project to an existing creation.
A candidate may cancel his/her participation during the entire duration of the competition. He must inform his institution as soon as possible.
The competition secretariat is in charge of transferring and storing objects, exhibiting works and organizing the awards ceremony. The latter may not be held liable for any loss or damage to the object.
Composition of the jury
The composition of the jury for the competition reflects the multidimensional approach that has been adopted. The jury is made up of at least the following
– One designer
– One journalist in the field of packaging
– One or more customers of Verallia
– One or two employees of Verallia (a member of the research department and a marketing/sales manager)
The jury may possibly include one or more extra members, whose professional experience ensures their expertise in the domains of design and/or packaging.
The Special Champagne Décor award will entail a specific selection process, with the involvement of professionals from the Champagne region: Champagne houses, design agencies, wine experts…
- Registration opens: 17 September 2018
- Registration closes: 20 March 2019
- Submission of projects: from January 7 until March 28, 2019
- Presentation of prizes: 28 June 2019
Projects will be short-listed by a first jury composed by marketing, production, design office and sales people, then submitted to an online vote, which will subsequently lead to a meeting with Food & Beverage experts to select the prize-winners.
The objects presented will be evaluated on the following criteria (indicative and nonexhaustive list
– Added value for the different users of the bottle or jar
– Aesthetic enhancement of the glass material or decoration
– Jury’s assessment of the industrial feasibility of the project and/or its viability
– Enhancement of the contents of the bottle or jar
– New perspectives opened up for the material (the project allows glass to conquer new segments)
– Innovative character of the design / concept
– Added value of the intended finishing (s) (e. g. interaction with the shape of the bottle or pot)
– Quality of the file (full, substantiated file with an overall vision of the project)
Promotional use of the contest
Taking part in the contest entails the participant’s agreement to their designs, their name and information provided by the candidate being publicized.
Participants give the organizers permission to use their names and projects for the purposes of publicity, promotion or a public relations campaign in the national press.
Candidates undertake not to divulge information that is specified as being confidential, even after the end of the contest, for any reason whatsoever.
The obligations in relation to confidentiality will continue at the end of the contest as long as the confidential information has not fully entered the public domain and on the condition that this is not due to the candidates.
Throughout the duration of the contest, the candidates agree not to reveal their projects, nor to allow them to be revealed, without prior written authorization from Verallia.
It is expressly agreed that the confidentiality rule does not apply to communication by the candidates concerning their projects within the educational establishment to which they belong, and more particularly in the context of presentations of an educational nature within their establishment.
Candidates whose projects are to be awarded a prize must keep their project confidential and may only communicate this with permission from Verallia.
Prices, Endowments and Duties
– “Water and non-alcoholic drinks” bottle prize: €1000
– “Spirits” bottle prize: €1000
– “Wine” bottle prize: €1000
– “Food” jar prize: €1000
– The Sponsor’s Coup de Coeur: €500
– TSpecial Prize “Digital Communication”: €1000
Each prize fund corresponds to one award per project. As a result, even if a project team is composed of several students, the prize fund will be the same and it is up to the students to divide the winnings among themselves.
Assuming that the winning projects have been produced by several students, the prize will be presented to the team representative who will then be responsible for sharing out the winnings among the various team members.
Verallia cannot be held responsible for any potential dispute between the team members.
The Awards ceremonies
The prizes will be presented at an event organized in Paris on June, 28th 2019.
The participants selected by the jury, as well as the establishment in which the students are enrolled, will be notified individually by phone or email concerning their short-listing using the email address provided in the entry file submitted.
At the same time, they will be told the venue, date and time of the event at which the jury will select the entries for which a prize will be awarded. Entrants commit themselves to participate or to have someone represent them at the place and on the date that will be communicated to them.
Prize monies will be paid exclusively in the form of a cheque. Prize-winners may not request payment in any other form.
In accordance with the provisions of the Competition Rules, participants, whether they win a prize or not, retain ownership of the Intellectual Property Rights that they hold over the designs produced within the context of the contest.
Nonetheless, Verallia may be interested in acquiring the copyrights held by the participants concerning the designs produced within the context of the contest, whether these are prizewinning designs or not.
In this case, Verallia will approach the participants concerned to discuss, in good faith, the conditions of a transfer of these copyrights.
Verallia wishes to indicate, as of now, the conditions that will apply to any potential transfer of rights.
– Copyright will be assigned for all countries and for the entire term of protection of intellectual property rights.
– The remuneration for this sale, excluding the Decor Special Price, will be between 2000 and 5000 Euros. The amount will be fixed taking into account in particular the innovative and original nature of the project, as well as its complexity of development.
– Regarding the special prize “Digital Communication”, Verallia may be interested in obtaining a license to use, including a right of adaptation based, creations made in this contest, they have been awarded or not. The remuneration for this license in the case of the Special Prize “Digital Communication” will be between 1,000 and 1,500 Euros. The amount will be set considering the innovative and original nature of the project and its complexity. The license will include an exploitation and adaptation right worldwide for a period of 5 years on the digital media (web, app, social networks) of Verallia Packaging, its subsidiaries and its partners.
– In the case of the project being developed, Verallia will offer the individuals who designed the project the chance to be involved in the different stages of its development. We feel that it is important to remind the designers that a project cannot be developed solely on the basis of the elements submitted within the framework of the contest. Analysis, research and testing work are indispensable in order to adapt a project to the industrial realities of the glass-making world.
For creations that have not been awarded by the jury of the competition and / or for which Verallia has not acquired the economic rights of author or a license of use for the “Digital Communication”, but whose authors would have worked on a real project of exploitation of their creation, Verallia asks these authors, that before any approach with third companies, agencies of design, glassmakers …, aiming at the development of their project, they approach Verallia to discuss in the conditions under which Verallia could assist them in setting up this project.
Verallia naturally undertakes to respect the strictest confidentiality with regards to the details of these potential projects.
Taking part in this contest implies full acceptance, without restrictions or reservations, of the conditions for participation by the candidates and by the educational establishment in which they are enrolled (for students).The organizers reserve the right to cut short, extend, modify or cancel the contest presented here as circumstances dictate. They cannot be held responsible in the event of such a circumstance arising.