Verallia Design Awards
“The glass in solo format”
Verallia is the world’s third largest manufacturer of glass containers for beverages and food products. Verallia designs and manufactures glass packaging that respects the environment to an ever-greater extent, is infinitely recyclable, and enhances its contents, preserving food quality and consumer well-being.
In France, Verallia is the benchmark actor in the wine, spirits and food jar markets. With seven industrial sites and two technology centers in France, Verallia also offers made-to-measure design and glass-decoration services.
Between creativity and authenticity, glass brings the beautiful and the everyday together. Over thousands of years, it has forged a unique emotional link with consumers, a link that is being renewed today in the chain of recycling and its environmental advantages.
Philosophy and theme of the contest
Each candidate will come up with a glass bottle or jar , making full use of the design possibilities offered by glass as a material.
Theme of the 2021 edition:
“The glass in solo format”
Consumers are more and more demanding about the quality of the food products they enjoy. They want to have choice while being responsible consumers who fight against food waste. The glass packaging in small format is a response to the desire for individual, demanding and ethical consumption.
You will imagine a glass bottle or jar that allows the consumer to have the right portion without sacrificing the quality and safety requirements that glass material offers. This format would be served at concerts, festivals, outdoors, on the beach, in restaurants or on the terrace of a café.
Your project will propose an innovative and aesthetic form, which will meet the constraints of individual consumption through its ergonomics and functionality.
This theme applies to the 4 main categories: Still & Sparkling Wines / Spirits / Beers, Water and Non Alcoholic Breverages / Food
“Offer him glass packaging”
The material glass is increasingly chosen by consumers because of its unique qualities: 100% and infinitely recyclable, it is also an inert material, protective of taste and healthy for the consumer.
For brands and producers of beverages or food products, glass is a material that reveals the product and can sublimate it: its transparency, its touch, its shine are all aesthetic assets at their service.
You will choose a food product or a non-alcoholic drink, currently packaged in a container that is not made of glass (plastic, cardboard, aluminum) and imagine for this one or this one a new glass packaging.
Your mission: to make consumers want to change their habits and adopt this new glass packaging!
Your file will include a glass packaging proposal (3D plan, etc.) dedicated to a product, as well as an argument which will detail the reasons for choosing this particular product and the benefits provided by the new packaging (consumer study, study.
A visual presentation in a department or consumption of the final product will be appreciated.
This theme applies to the 2 main markets: Water and Non Alcoholic Breverages / Food
The contest is open to students enrolled in design schools or establishments offering a packaging option for the 2019/2020 academic year, and also to students who recently (1, 2 or 3 years ago) graduated from a design school or establishment offering a packaging option.
Students can enroll individually or within a team of maximum 4 people. It is compulsory for teams entering a project to be composed of one or more students taking a course in an establishment of this type.
Entrants can register online on the contest’s website, https://design.awards.verallia.fr/en/application-form/. The closing date for entries is 31 March 2021.
The main competition includes four categories:
– Still & Sparkling Wines
– Beer, water and non alcoholoc breverages
And the special award:
– Special Prize “Offer him a glass package”
Each candidate has a choice of the following options:
1) Competing in one of the four categories of the main competition. A single entry will therefore be submitted.
2) Competing for the Special Prize. A single entry will therefore be submitted.
3) Competing in the main competition and for the Special Prize. Two different entries will therefore be submitted.
Each entry file will be comprised of two parts:
1. A two-page summary document in pdf landscape format (one front page, one back page) presenting the main information about the project:
– The concept being proposed and how it responds to the expectations of the target market in question
– The project specifics (aesthetic value, practicality, etc.)
– An image of the bottle or jar (a 3D image or sketch)
– A technical drawing showing the main dimensions
The jury will draw up a short list on the sole basis of this document.
The file size of this document must not exceed 10 Mo.
2. The full entry file
Each entry file will present a glass bottle dedicated to the theme of “French glass”.
The file size of this document must not exceed 30 Mo.
Avenues of innovation and creation could include, for example (but are not limited to):
– The shape of the bottle or jar
– The appearance of the bottle or jar (its colour, the look of the material, decoration, etc.)
– The ergonomics of the bottle or jar
– The use of the bottle or jar (use in new domains or new markets)
Each entry file must include, as a minimum requirement, a sketch/image and technical drawing of the project, accompanied by a project presentation note that mentions, to the extent possible:
– The added value contributed by the bottle or jar (aesthetic, ergonomic, logistical, etc.)
– The “moment” of consumption
– The market(s) at which the project is aimed
– An assessment of industrial feasibility
– In a general sense, any information likely to enlighten the jury concerning the project
3. In addition entrants will have the opportunity to submit 1 main image and up to 4 additional images (in png, jpeg, jpg, or gif formats). Images will be in landscape format, 1329 x 768 pixels maximum. Candidates will make sure the main image is representative of their project.
It is up to the candidate to make sure that there are no earlier designs that are identical to or bear a strong resemblance to their project. In the case that there are, the participant must provide justification that their project differs significantly and sufficiently from existing designs, in order to avoid any risk of infringement or unfair competition.
The organisers reserve the right to withdraw a project from the competition if they consider that there is a significant legal risk due to the proximity of the project to an existing creation.
A candidate may cancel his/her participation during the entire duration of the competition. He must inform his institution as soon as possible.
The competition secretariat is in charge of transferring and storing objects, exhibiting works and organizing the awards ceremony. The latter may not be held liable for any loss or damage to the object.
Composition of the jury
The composition of the jury for the competition reflects the multidimensional approach that has been adopted. The jury is made up of at least the following
– One designer
– One journalist in the field of packaging
– One or more customers of Verallia
– One or two employees of Verallia (a member of the research department and a marketing/sales manager)
The jury may possibly include one or more extra members, whose professional experience ensures their expertise in the domains of design and/or packaging.
- Registration and submission of projects: October 19, 2020*.
- Closing date for registration and submission of projects: October 31, 2020*.
- Awards Ceremony: July 2, 2021*
* The schedule may be subject to change according to the evolution of sanitary conditions.
Projects will be short-listed by a first jury composed by marketing, production, design office and sales people, then submitted to an online vote, which will subsequently lead to a meeting with Food & Beverage experts to select the prize-winners.
The objects presented will be evaluated on the following criteria (indicative and nonexhaustive list)
– Added value for the different users of the bottle or jar
– Aesthetic enhancement of the glass material or decoration
– Jury’s assessment of the industrial feasibility of the project and/or its viability
– Enhancement of the contents of the bottle or jar
– New perspectives opened up for the material (the project allows glass to conquer new segments)
– Innovative character of the design / concept
– Added value of the intended finishing (s) (e. g. interaction with the shape of the bottle or jar)
– Quality of the file (full, substantiated file with an overall vision of the project)
Promotional use of the contest
Taking part in the contest entails the participant’s agreement to their designs, their name and information provided by the candidate being publicized.
Participants give the organizers permission to use their names and projects for the purposes of publicity, promotion or a public relations campaign in the national press.
Candidates undertake not to divulge information that is specified as being confidential, even after the end of the contest, for any reason whatsoever.
The obligations in relation to confidentiality will continue at the end of the contest as long as the confidential information has not fully entered the public domain and on the condition that this is not due to the candidates.
Throughout the duration of the contest, the candidates agree not to reveal their projects, nor to allow them to be revealed, without prior written authorization from Verallia.
It is expressly agreed that the confidentiality rule does not apply to communication by the candidates concerning their projects within the educational establishment to which they belong, and more particularly in the context of presentations of an educational nature within their establishment.
Candidates whose projects are to be awarded a prize must keep their project confidential and may only communicate this with permission from Verallia.
Prices, Endowments and Duties
– “Still & sparkling wines” bottle prize: €1000
– “Spirits” bottle prize: €1000
– “Beer, water and soft drinks” bottle prize: €1000
– “Food” bottle prize: €1000
– The Sponsor’s Coup de Coeur: €500
– Special Prize “Offer him a glass package”: €1000
Each prize fund corresponds to one award per project. As a result, even if a project team is composed of several students, the prize fund will be the same and it is up to the students to divide the winnings among themselves.
Assuming that the winning projects have been produced by several students, the prize will be presented to the team representative who will then be responsible for sharing out the winnings among the various team members.
Verallia cannot be held responsible for any potential dispute between the team members.
The Awards ceremonies
The prizes will be presented at an event held at a venue on July 2, 2021.
The participants selected by the Jury, as well as the institution in which the students are registered, will be notified individually of their pre-selection by telephone or by email to the email address indicated in the file submitted.
At the same time, they will be informed of the place, date and time of the event during which the Jury will award the prizes.
The candidate undertakes to take part in the award ceremony, if he or she is a prizewinner, or to be represented at the place and date that will be confirmed to him or her.
The prizes will be paid only by bank transfer. Winners will be asked to provide a bank account number (RIB). Winners may not request payment in any other form.
Verallia will prospect its clientele by submitting all or part of the projects of the contest participants, awarded or not, with a view to developing one or more projects.
As a result, for a period of two years following the date of awarding the prizes, participants, whether or not awarded by the competition jury, undertake not to submit their creations to other competitions and not to take any steps with third party companies aimed at developing their project, unless they request Verallia’s prior written consent.
In addition, for participants for whom no development project has been identified by Verallia and who are considering working with a third party company on a project for the exploitation of their creation, we ask you to contact Verallia beforehand to discuss the conditions under which Verallia could help you in the glass development of this project. Verallia is obviously committed to respecting the strictest confidentiality on the details of these possible projects.
Intellectual property rights
The participants, rewarded or not, remain the owners of the intellectual property rights they hold on the creations made within the framework of this contest.
However, Verallia may be interested in acquiring the economic rights held by the participants on the creations created within the framework of the contest, whether these creations have been awarded or not.
In this case, Verallia will contact the participants concerned to discuss, in good faith, the conditions of a transfer of these economic rights.
Verallia would like to already indicate the conditions that will apply to a possible transfer of rights.
– Copyright will be assigned for all countries and for the entire term of protection of intellectual property rights.
– The remuneration of this assignment will be between 2000 and 5000 Euros. The amount will be fixed taking into account the innovative and original nature of the project, as well as its development complexity.
– In case of project development, Verallia will propose to the authors at the origin of the project to participate in the different phases of its development. It seems important to us to remind the authors that a project cannot be developed on the sole basis of the elements submitted in the framework of the competition. Analysis, study and test work are essential in order to adapt a project to the industrial realities of the glass world.
Participation in this competition implies the acceptance without restriction or reserve of the conditions of participation by the candidates and their home institution (for students).
The organizers reserve the right to shorten, extend, modify or cancel this contest if circumstances so require.
Their responsibility cannot be engaged as a result.