VERALLIA DESIGN AWARDS 2023
“Glass to live the moment
Verallia, the world’s third largest glass bottle and jar company, designs and manufactures glass packaging that is increasingly environmentally friendly, infinitely recyclable, and that enhances the value of the contents, preserves the quality of the food and the well-being of consumers.
In France, Verallia is the leading player in the wine, spirits and food jar markets. With 7 industrial sites dedicated to glass production and 2 technical centres in France, Verallia also offers customised design and glass decoration services.
In between creativity and authenticity, glass brings together the beautiful and the ordinary: over the millennia, it has created a unique emotional bond with the consumer. A bond that is renewed today in the recycling chain and its ecological advantages.
Philosophy and theme of the competition
Each candidate will be able to imagine a glass bottle or jar, making the most of the creative possibilities offered by the material glass.
Theme of the main competition of the 2023 edition
Glass to live the moment
Following the trend of slowing down and searching for well-being, we propose you to create containers (bottles and jars) that are inspired by nature (biomimicry) and provide sensations of calm and serenity (by their shape, their finish or their colours). This theme applies to all markets: Still and sparkling wines | Spirits | Beer, water and soft drinks | Food.
Presentation of the competition
The competition is open to students enrolled for the academic year 2022/2023 in design schools, schools with a packaging option and fine arts schools, but also to young graduates (1 or 2 years old) of a design school, an art school or an institution offering design courses.
Students or recent graduates of business or communication schools (1 or 2 years old) are also invited to participate. Students may enter individually or in teams. A team can consist of 2, 3 or 4 people maximum.
The project team must consist of one or more students studying at a business school.
Registration is online on the competition website http://design.awards.verallia.en/ with a closing date of 26 March 2023.
The competition has four categories
- Still & Sparkling Wines
- Beers, Waters & Soft Drinks
Application file for the main competition
Each application will consist of two parts
1. A two-page summary document in PDF landscape format (one front, one back) presenting the main information on the project:
- the proposed concept and how it meets the expectations of the public
- concerned the specificity of the project (aesthetic value, practicality, etc.)
- a visual of the bottle (sketch or 3D visual)
- a technical plan with the main dimensions
The jury will pre-select the applications on the basis of this document alone.
The weight of this document must not exceed 10 Mb.
2. The complete file
Each file presents a bottle or a glass jar dedicated to the theme “Glass without moderation”.
The size of this document should not exceed 30 Mb.
The innovation and creation tracks can include for example (non-limitative list)
- the shape of the bottle or jar
- the appearance of the bottle or jar (tint, material appearance, decoration/finishing, etc.)
- the ergonomics of the bottle or jar
- the use of the bottle or jar (use in new areas or new markets)
Each file includes at least a sketch/visual and a technical plan of the project, accompanied by a presentation note mentioning as far as possible
- The added value of the bottle or jar (aesthetic, ergonomic, logistical, etc.)
- The “moment” of consumption The audience(s) for which the project is intended
- An estimate of the industrial feasibility
- In general, any information likely to enlighten the jury about the project
3. De plus, lors du dépôt de dossier les candidats pourront soumettre 1 image principale et jusqu’à 4 images complémentaires aux formats png, jpeg, jpg ou gif. Les images devront être au format paysage, au maximum 1329 x 768 pixels.
Le candidat veillera à ce que son visuel principal soit représentatif de son projet.
Il appartient au candidat de vérifier qu’il n’existe pas d’antériorités identiques ou fortement similaires à son projet. S’il en existe, le participant devra justifier que son projet diffère de manière significative et suffisante des créations existantes et ce afin d’éviter tout risque de contrefaçon ou concurrence déloyale.
Les organisateurs se réservent le droit de retirer un projet du concours s’ils estiment qu’il existe un risque juridique important du fait de la proximité du projet avec une création existante.
Un candidat peut pendant toute la durée du concours annuler sa participation. Il devra en informer son établissement le plus rapidement possible.
Responsibility of the organiser
The competition secretariat is responsible for the transfer and conservation of the objects, the exhibition of the works and the organisation of the prize-giving ceremony.
It cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to the object.
Composition of the Jury
The composition of the competition jury reflects the multidimensional approach adopted.
- The jury is composed of at least :
- a designer
- a packaging journalist
- one or more Verallia customers
- one or two Verallia employees (a member of the design office and a marketing/sales manager)
The jury may include one or more additional members whose professional experience guarantees expertise in the fields of design and/or packaging.
- Registration and submission of projects open : 19 September 2022
- Closing date for entries and project submissions: 26 March 2023
- Award ceremony: 29 or 30 June 2023*.
* The timetable may change depending on the evolution of sanitary conditions.
A pre-selection of projects will be carried out by an internal jury composed of people from the design office, marketing, production and sales, before the projects are submitted to the jury’s online vote.
A jury of professionals (food industry employees, journalists, designers, etc.) will then meet to select the winners.
The objects presented will be evaluated on the following criteria (indicative and non-exhaustive list):
- Added value for the various users of the bottle or jar
- Aesthetic value of the glass material
- The jury’s assessment of the industrial feasibility of the project and/or its viability
- Enhancement of the contents of the bottle or jar
- New perspectives opened up for the material (the project enables glass to address new segments)
- Innovative nature of the design/concept
- Added value of the proposed enhancement(s) (e.g. interaction with the shape of the bottle or jar)
- Quality of the dossier (complete, well argued and offering an overall vision of the project)
Promotional use of the competition
Participation in the competition implies the candidate’s agreement to the dissemination of their creations, their name and the information they provide.
Candidates authorise the organisers to use their names and projects for the purposes of advertising, promotion or a national press relations campaign.
For the duration of the competition, candidates undertake not to divulge their projects or allow them to be divulged without prior written authorization from Verallia. This obligation of confidentiality will survive the end of the competition, for a period of 2 years following the date of the award ceremony. Candidates shall therefore refrain from disclosing their project or any communication about it, particularly on social networks, without the prior written authorization of Verallia.
It is expressly agreed that confidentiality does not apply to the communication of projects by candidates within their institution, and more particularly in the context of educational presentations within their institution.
All information transmitted by Verallia to the candidates in the context of the possible subsequent development of their project (in particular glass plans, prototypes, analyses, studies and technical information, names of any interested customers, etc.) is strictly confidential for a period of 10 years, unless it falls into the public domain through no fault of the candidates.
Prizes, endowments and rights
- Still and sparkling wine” bottle prize: €2,000
- Spirits” bottle prize : 2 000 €
- Beer, water and soft drinks” bottle prize: €2,000
- Food jar prize: €2,000
- Sponsor’s favourite: €800
- Verallia Employees’ Favourite: €500
Each endowment corresponds to a reward for a project.
E n consequence, even if a project team is made up of several students, the prize will remain identical, and the students will be responsible for dividing the prize among themselves.
In the event that the awarded projects have been carried out by several students, the prize will be given to the team representative who will then be responsible for sharing the prize among the various team members.
Verallia cannot be held responsible for any dispute between the members of the team.
Presentation of the prizes
The prizes will be awarded at an event organised on 29 or 30 June 2023.
The participants selected by the Jury, as well as the institution in which the students are registered, will be individually notified of their pre-selection by telephone or by e-mail to the e-mail address given in the dossier submitted.
At the same time, they will be informed of the place, date and time of the event during which the Jury will award the prizes.
The candidate undertakes to participate in the prize-giving ceremony, if he/she is the winner, or to be represented at the place and date that will be confirmed.
Prizes will only be paid in the form of a bank transfer. Winners will be asked to provide a bank account number. Winners may not request payment in any other form.
Verallia will canvass its customers by submitting all or part of the projects of the participants in the competition, whether or not they have won a prize, with a view to developing one or more projects, if necessary.
Consequently, for a period of two years following the date of the award ceremony, participants, whether or not they are awarded a prize by the competition jury, undertake not to submit their creations to other competitions and not to approach third-party companies with a view to developing their project, unless they seek Verallia’s prior written consent.
Beyond this two-year period, for participants for whom no development project has been identified by Verallia and who are considering working with a third-party company on a project to exploit their creation, we ask you to contact Verallia beforehand to discuss the conditions under which Verallia could help you with the glass development of this project. Verallia will of course respect the strictest confidentiality regarding the details of these potential projects.
In the event that Verallia develops a Candidate’s project, Verallia will offer to participate in the various phases of its development. It is important to remind Candidates that a project cannot be developed solely on the basis of the elements submitted as part of the competition. Analysis, study and testing are essential in order to adapt a project to the industrial realities of the glass industry.
The candidate grants Verallia an exclusive option on the creation(s) proposed in the context of the competition to enable it to develop them and, if applicable, to submit them to any customer of its choice who may be interested.
By participating in the Competition, the candidates firmly and irrevocably promise to transfer to Verallia, on an exclusive basis, for the entire world and for the entire duration of the protection of intellectual property rights as provided for by the applicable laws and international conventions, full and complete ownership of all the economic rights of the author of their creation(s) proposed in the context of the competition, whether or not these creations have been awarded a prize, in return for a flat fee of €8,000 excluding taxes.
Verallia shall have the right to request the completion of the promise to sell of any candidate at any time during a period of 2 years from the date of the prize-giving.
If Verallia decides to exercise the option, it will notify it at any time before the expiry of the period defined above, by mail or by e-mail to the address or e-mail address appearing in the file submitted by the candidate. Candidates undertake, if necessary, to sign any necessary confirmatory act and to provide Verallia with the elements enabling it to proceed with the payment of the remuneration fixed above.
If the option is exercised, the economic rights thus transferred by the candidates to Verallia include in particular
- The right to reproduce all or part of the elements of the creations in any quantity and by any process and in particular by printing, drawing, photography, video, computer support and/or more generally, any mechanical process and/or any process of the graphic or plastic arts or other;
- The right of representation, i.e. to represent and communicate to the public, directly or indirectly, all or part of the elements of the creations in any manner and by any process whatsoever, and in particular by public presentation and transmission, press and catalogues, displays and public exhibitions, television broadcasting and the broadcasting of advertising films and/or, more generally, any process of communicating images, data documents, and messages of any kind (such as television, computer networks, telematic or internet);
- The right to grant any licence or sub-licence or to transfer all or part of the elements of the creations for all purposes listed above;
- The right to adapt all or part of the elements of the creations (including in particular the right to adapt the models of bottles or jars to all capacities and all materials) for all purposes listed above.
The candidate expressly waives the right to have his or her status as creator of the project or of all or part of its elements appear on industrial reproductions or on Verallia’s commercial documents, catalogues or prospectuses.
The applicant also undertakes not to transfer or encumber in any way whatsoever the rights throughout the period during which the option is exercised.
In the event that Verallia has not exercised the option by the end of the above-mentioned two-year period, the option shall lapse and the promise shall lapse. The applicant shall consequently recover its rights and shall be free to transfer them to any third party of its choice.
Participation in this competition implies unreserved acceptance of the conditions of participation by the candidates and their institution (for students).
Verallia reserves the right to shorten, extend, modify or cancel this contest if circumstances so require.
Verallia shall not be held liable in any way for this.